Monday, January 25, 2010

Snowy Day in Kawasaki, Japan


Nihon Minka En; Kawasaki City, Japan: This is an open air museum which is nestled in a small wooded valley not too far from Tokyo. It's full of rustic houses that represent different eras and places from throughout Japan. Each building was relocated in order to preserve a rich part of Japanese architectural history. I especially like this place as it's beautiful, peaceful, and not crowded by tourists and visitors. On many occasions I had this place completely to myself. This day in particular was a very snowy day in Tokyo. Although many parts of Japan get very cold and snowy in winter. The area around Tokyo does not. Most of winter is very dry and chilly and when it snows, it's usually a mere dusting. On this morning when I woke up I was inspired by the winter scape and grabbed my cameras to go outside for some shooting. I had a good feeling to head here and was greeted by staff who were surprised that someone showed up. For only 500 Yen they let me in and I wandered throughout the garden of homes. The light winds muffled the crackling tinsel like sound of snow falling. The old houses creaked in the cold. I came to a section where A-framed shaped houses from a Japanese mountain village were on display. I took a panoramic shot and captured this very hauntingly beautiful image. Soon after I went into one of these houses where a mom and pop restaurant was serving some of the best hand made soba noodles and soup I've ever tasted. It was a great day.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment