Thursday, March 17, 2011

Almost

Day 07: Almost, we almost had 24 hours without any shakes or earthquakes. Just before I sat down to write and put into words how today had no major seismic activity. At 9:30 PM a quake hit off the coast of Chiba and we felt it. With this ended the chance of a day without a quake. Then again after the first one, at 9:55 PM even another quake hits. This one was weak but lasted a long time, objects in the house wobbled for an uncomfortable duration. We are starting to feel shell-shocked. I'm sure tonight will be long for us. As for today, I woke up to watch the news. First scenes were of a military Chinook heavy lift helicopter dropping water into a reactor. In my view it's a very desperate measure and much like pouring tea into a raging fire. Morning emails and calls bleed into noon. I spent lunch with an American friend. He was torn between staying or leaving. He thought by leaving he's abandoning his friends and team here. I urged him to do what's best for he and his family. I told him that I'm not leaving for many reasons and none of them material. I'm staying because I have an extended family here, if I left I'd never be able to live with myself. If I left them here, I would go mad watching the news about here. I would feel more helpless than I do right now. I won't go until I know they can go too and are safe. It's impossible to measure the human capacity for concern. My friend does not have the same connections here; he should go. Later that day he went home and talked with is wife; in the evening I heard that they are leaving for Singapore. I'm happy he's going, will miss he and his family's comforting presence. After lunch I ventured out to Shibuya, hence this photo. It's the famed Shibuya Crossing near Shibuya train station. This intersection is the Times Square and or the Piccadilly Circus of Japan. Full of hustle and bustle, lively, and usually jubilant. It is said that about 2.5 million people travel through this intersection each day. Not today, not this week. If you look carefully you can see that the marquee video screens which are usually flush full of brilliantly luminous adverts, animations, films, and invigorating music are shut down. Now just black unlit silent squares. Elaborate neon or signage also shut off. On this cold windy gray day the crossing had less than one third the crowds. Most folks at the crossing were traveling to the train station to leave early for home as many areas will not have electricity tonight. They want to get home before power goes off and the trains stop. The station is packed because the number of trains running today are less. The waiting crowds and ques of people flood from the platform all the way down the stairs to the turnstiles. Station attendants blocked and roped off the entrances sporadically to control the over fill of people in the station. It's an ocean of heads. Still with the congestion, long waits, and pressed together commuters, Japanese somehow retain order. No yelling, no screaming, no complaints heard. I soon left here for home, got on my bike and cycled back. Concerned about inhaling any radioactive particles? Yes, but too late now, I've been out for hours. Will take the chance that there's no harmful amount in the air today; a leap of faith and trust the news reports. It's getting colder, feels more like a bitter windy January night than a month from spring. I'm chilled to the bone. The streets again are less congested with vehicles. Not much fuel in the city therefore only cabs, buses, and a few cars. Again, the cold is biting into me. Riding into my apartment building my thoughts again fall upon those suffering in the dismay and hopelessness in North Eastern Japan. For them another long cold night. I'm relieved another day passed, surreal but not as bad. No major earth quakes or overpowering tremors I optimistically thought. Then as I sit down, write; it changes. Almost an entire day without an earthquake, almost...

No comments:

Post a Comment