Monday, April 4, 2011

"Nothing can go wrong if you are doing something right..."

Three Weeks and Three Days: I walked past a small office today and through a window noticed a stack of  things destined for the Tohoku area. This photo has boxes with stickers which read "がんばって東北" which implies "Be Strong Tohoku." Nearly every company or business here in Tokyo is now actively collecting and or contributing to relief projects. It's good and I'm happy I too am a part of it. A few family members and close friends sent me moving messages expressing worries and concern. All of them know however, that once I set my mind onto something it's impossible to change my course. Once I signed my name on the list to go, it's the point of no return. A good remedy for worry is preparedness. I spent most of my day arranging my equipment. I purchased a new backpack as my old one has seen too much wear and tear through my travels. I then took my expedition gear out of my storage room and started staging them for the trip.
  • Camel Back for water, water purification pills
  • Down Jacket/Shell
  • Rugged boots, 
  • Expedition pants, shirts, and changes of clothing
  • Wool; sweaters, socks,  hat, extreme environment thermal under garments, gloves
  • Knife, Leatherman, Utensils, Compass, Whistle
  • Flashlight, Headlamp
  • First Aid Kit, Masks, Toiletries
  • Sleeping Bag & Mat
  • Rain Gear
Then there's the matter of nourishment. A person should consume about 2,200 calories per day and about 2 liters of water. All of which during the trip has to be carried along with me. Water and fluids were purchased at COSTCO. (Yes we have them in Japan now) As for meals I contacted a good friend who lives near Yokosuka Navy Base who sourced military MRE's. These are "Meals Ready to Eat" and provide in each packet nearly enough nutrition required per day consisting of about 1250 calories (13% protein, 36% fat, and 51%) The important aspect about being self sufficient is that you don't become a burden to others. This lessens the worry for the basic essentials and allows more focus on the task at hand. On this trip we will be distributing supplies and likely going from shelter to shelter. While making the list and sorting out my daily requirements I had to stop and think about how difficult it must be for the people surviving in Tohoku. It's April but still very cold here. They barely have access to any of the basic requirements needed to sustain themselves. Right now they are only surviving at a bare minimal level. Now more than ever, help needs to get there faster. Well, as for today's Blog entry, my tone was more on the practical side. I'm not afraid, I'm not worried, and I have full faith. This I believe; "Nothing can go wrong if you are doing something right..."

1 comment: