Thursday, February 24, 2011

My Ger at Night


I'm posting this photo of a Ger (yurt) roof at night. The chimney stack peers through an ominous moonlit night. The white felt covering wraps around the center roof sprocket revealing the light from within. In the cold and dark there's always a warm lit shelter from the gloom that reminds me that at times home is where you are. I'm really lucky that I've got a lot good friends out there while I'm out here. It sincerely means a lot. This photo was shot in the old capital city of Kharakhorim. At one time it was the center of the Mongolian Empire that reached from the Pacific to the edges of Eastern Europe and through the Arabian peninsula. Today it's a small hamlet with only ruins and one Tibetan Buddhist Temple standing called Erdene Zu. It's a special place that's far on the map. This night was an especially cold and windy night.
Encyclopedia of Mongolia and the Mongol EmpireGenghis Khan - Mongol Empire Genghis Khan's Mongolian Empire (Lost Civilizations)

No comments:

Post a Comment