Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Peering through a clouded view...

Two Weeks and Four Days: Look, look closer, can you see, can you see it? It was a hazy day and at sunset from my view I could see a faint outline of the iconic mountain peering through the haze. Mount Fuji showed itself briefly, then vanished. A few earthquakes came today, but none disrupted the pace of today. Work seemed like a normal day aside the dimmer lights in the hall way and common areas. For the most part, business as usual for us here in Tokyo. Very few conversations about the earthquake and reactor issue at the office. The ones I did have focused more on the frustration of not feeling properly informed by the news. What news we did hear noted that one of the reactors had melted through it's containment vessel. This added mixes of radioactive plutonium and other hazardous materials into the environment. It's clear that the workers have lost control of a least one reactor. What happens next or what is to be done is not known. I had time to talk to a friend about volunteering and going up north. I was informed that access to the devastated areas were very limited and only groups associated with legitimate charities have access. The key concern is making sure the right supplies get to the right shelters. I heard that some shelters may have enough of one thing such as clothing but lack something else such as water. So, for the most part charities are organizing and are making sure the proper logistics and supplies are reaching the appropriate distribution points. My aim is to ride up on Monday with a team. I'm very motivated to go, but also have to consider that my presence is a responsible one. For as much as I would like be there, but the right people must go to the right place at this early stage. I'll find out in a few days. The trip lasts 4 days and participants must be fully self sufficient and willing to brave the weather and rugged conditions. It's important to me that I be a part of this. Yesterday I complained about TEPCO and they did deserve it. But in hindsight, I feel bad that I did not mention the people who today are still in a hopeless and destitute situation. It's been a long time and many are still looking for relatives. One story I heard today was heart wrenching. A man wandered through the remains of his neighborhood looking for his wife and baby daughter. Everything was razed, muddied, and buried. Near his home when rummaging through debris he came across a sock that was one of his daughters. When he went to get it, he found that it was still on his daughter's foot, at which point after he dug frantically with his hands and he found his wife who was wearing the baby carrier on her back. In all my adult years I can't recall a more heartbreaking bit of news than that. There are too many tragic stories going around and enough sorrow to last a generation. I've received numerous offers for care packages. I accept the kind gesture but would like to clarify that I'm well when compared to the tens of thousands who've lost their homes. Any efforts to send anything to Tokyo should be instead sent to an organization or a charity working with the Tohoku area. It's a hard time for Japan and for a while the life and soul of this country was fading fast. But in the midst of these times I see a spirit of a people fighting back and showing itself amid this very dismal and clouded view.

3 comments:

  1. Heartbreaking your story . I am sure there are many more tragic stories we haven't heard. Just have to pray harder for Japan and its poeple .

    Please be careful if you end up going upnorth to help. Will be there in spirit. M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linh, you know when we are young we hear about our elders struggles and wars and what it was like. I can't believe we are living in these times. I can't believe you are there on the front lines. I bless you every night before turning in and pray that all of Japan will find their way again. This tragedy effects us all. Be safe and smart and follow your heart.

    ReplyDelete