Wednesday, April 20, 2011

It's getting better

I'm going to dare say that it's getting better. The flow of goods and support is reaching the hard hit areas on a regular basis. The super high speed rail called the "Shinkansen" will resume its runs through Tohoku at the end of this month. Also I read that the public market in Kesennuma is back in operations. Many of the goods such as seafood and produce not allowed or able to be harvested in the Tohoku area are coming in from other areas. Adding to this is that the weather has greatly improved. Nights are chilly but the days are longer and sunnier. Long road ahead but as the Chinese Philosopher Lao Tzu said "The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step..." Well, we've been taking a lot of steps and have been tripped and knocked down just trying to get up. The quakes and aftershocks still come regularly and I'm sure a few big scary ones loom in the ques of fear for us all. However, we are on the move and getting used to the obstructions. There's an expression here that best describes dealing with things. It's " しょうが無い" (shoganai) which can be trans-interpreted as "It's what it is and there's nothing you can do." All the setbacks keep happening but  しょうが無い we are not going to give up. The volunteer missions will continue and these steps still require a lot of help. But over all, I'm going to be lit with a positive perspective.

Which leads to a few other thoughts I've been having. Lately I've been hit again with wanderlust. I get these more often than most and it calls me to go away and get lost somewhere. In a few weeks we have Golden Week and with it a lot of holidays back to back in one week. Between my volunteer runs and such, I'm planning a trip somewhere. My current options are either visit my brother Enkhtuvshin and his family in Mongolia or go back to the U.S. for a few weeks. I've not set foot back in the States for over 2 years now. Also recently I've connected with 3 sisters whom I've never met. They are related to me via my biological father. It' get's complicated to explain, but I've not seen my biological father for nearly 20 years.  しょうが無い, it's what it is. Met him for the first time at 22 years old and that was that. I do have a strong inner motivation to meet my sisters and other relatives as we all share a connection. We shall see if time permits in spring, if not I'll go in summer. I will visit them as it's important to me.

Right now Mongolia appears to be the best option as it's a little closer. I've been planning a few excursions and expeditions on my own there. Of all the places in the world; Mongolia is somehow a place I feel a very strong spiritual connection. When I'm there I'm at peace and the open big skies with endless fields of views recharge me. Right now this spot on this hill where I ride up to on my horse often is where I want to be. If you ask me nicely I may give you my secret coordinates as to how to get here. So with a light of optimism and an air of old sayings and expressions I'll close out today's blog entry with a Mongol saying about experience.
"It is better to see something once than to hear about it a thousand times..."

No comments:

Post a Comment